Follow me on Facebook

For updates, discussions, links and more photos follow me on Facebook:

The Vintage Dressmaker (1)

Thursday, January 6, 2011

In the begining

I am a procrastinating perfectionist!! For some reason I feel like I can't start a project until I have the means to complete it perfectly.  I am going to work hard at changing that about myself. 

My purpose in starting this blog is indeed shameful self-promotion! I plan on marketing my own line of historical dress patterns and I'm trying to create some interest and attract a following of 1920's enthusiasts.

As far as I can tell from my personal research, there is a need  in the sewing pattern market for historically correct 1920's patterns with size nesting for ease of alteration and clear and accurate instructions on construction.  I have amassed a sizable reference library and have many years of designing, drafting, and constructing experience that I imagine could prove useful.

My plan is to start from the inside (next to the skin) and work my way out, examining the many options in dress available during the era. I will post my research, inspiration pictures, pattern drafts, step by step sewing, fitting, and construction guides, along with embellishment ideas and resource links.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy I've stumbled across your blog! I am working on a "Flapper Belle" dress for Disney's 60th birthday celebration and I was so depressed to find no real historical patterns from the 1920s! I found one dress pattern for 1935, but that was as early as I could find. I have a pattern that will work, though it's not really period-accurate. I think, however, with the mods I'm doing, it'll still get the point across.

    I hope to devour more of your blog in the next few days!!

    ReplyDelete